info@cdf.org.pk
“Verily! Allah will not change the good condition of a people as long as they do not change their state of goodness themselves [Al-Quran]”
YOU ARE HERE | PROGRAMSINFRASTRUCTURE

COMMUNITY PHYSICAL INFRASTRUCTURE

In the CDF targeted operational areas, grassroot level physical infrastructure was almost nonexistent. Streets were mostly un-paved and primitive drainage system was without brick lining, creating host of problems for the communities. Open drains were spreading water-borne diseases in the communities, especially during rains. Un-paved link roads created multidimensional transportation problems for; the communities in general, small businesses and traders of the area and farmers who were facing problems in transporting their agriculture produce to the markets, as well as manifold increase in logistic costs in general owing to undeveloped link roads network.

The nonexistent water management infrastructure was another major problem. Un-bricked irrigation channels were causing; wastage of water, increasing the cost of irrigation and negatively impacting the production potential of small landholders, thereby significantly affecting their earnings, the non-availability of clean drinking water was adversely impacting poor households not only by creating health problems and imposing unnecessary medical expenditure but also negatively impacting the earning potential of the local populace. Ultimately this vicious circle was suppressing the overall growth potential of local economy. Due to the above reasons, CDF has implemented community physical infrastructure schemes in the target areas on cost sharing basis; with 20% contribution (cash or in kind) provided by the community, while the remaining 80% provided through PPAF funded finance facility.

An environment characterized by sustainable access to basic infrastructure can be considered to be a major tool of effective poverty reduction strategy. By focusing on small scale community infrastructure assets CDF plays a vital role in maximizing impact on community welfare and productivity. These projects includes drinking water supply schemes, sanitation and street pavement, waste disposal schemes, flood protection works , irrigation, roads and bridges, solar water pumps and wind mills.